HOW DID LINCOLN CENTER GET ITS NAME?
Lincoln Center was named after Lincoln Square, the neighborhood
in which it was built. The area has been associated with the
performing arts since 1906, when a 1,600-seat theater opened on
what is now the site of The Juilliard School. The area has also been
the site of studios for painters, sculptors and photographers.
The origin of the name Lincoln Square is not known. Popular but
unproven explanations include that the area was named after
President Abraham Lincoln or an 18th-century landowner.
The ﬁrst deed in the area, acquired in the mid-1600s, was held by
Thomas Hall and Johannes Van Bruch. Landowners in the 1700s
included Stephan de Lancey; James de Lancey; James de Lancey,
Jr. (he was a Tory who was run out of town during the American
Revolution); and John Somerindyck.
The beauty of this area while it was still predominantly rural
inspired Edgar Allan Poe to write “The Raven.”
George Pope Morris wrote “Woodman, Spare That Tree” after he
persuaded a local woodcutter not to cut down a giant elm in the
neighborhood, but to chop down a smaller tree in its place.
Benenson Capital Partners
We proudly support
Lincoln Center’s Annual
Real Estate and Construction
and are pleased to congratulate
Michael C. Slocum
President of Commercial Banking
Northeast Regional President
32 | Lincoln Center Corporate Fund 43rd Annual Real Estate & Construction Council Gala | 33