Return to flip book view

Visitor's Guide

Page 1

THE GISCOME PORTAGE community thrived until the onset of World War I By 1915 the railway had been built on the far side of the river the young men who settled the area began to leave to join the war and transportation was rapidly shifting from river to road and rail travel In 1919 a wagon road was completed from Prince George to Summit Lake bypassing Giscome Portage The Seebach and Huble General Store soon closed The Huble family moved into Prince George and Edward Seebach moved to run the partners freighting business and warehouses at Summit and McLeod Lakes Visitor s Guide Hundreds of years ago the Indigenous people of this province established a vast network of trails connecting their territories for the purpose of travel and trade between different nations In this region one trail was particularly useful as it crossed over the Continental Divide and was the shortest route between the waterways flowing to the Pacific Ocean and those flowing into the Arctic Ocean The Lhedli T enneh referred to this route as Lhdesti the shortcut THE PROPERTY was sold to Josephine Mitchell in 1929 She operated the WM Ranch which also functioned as a guest ranch offering Wild West experiences to international visitors After she sold the ranch in 1957 it passed through several owners before the province purchased the property in the mid 1970s for use as community pasture A group was formed in 1984 to save the deteriorating Huble house and in 1986 the Regional District of Fraser Fort George obtained 54 acres of land surrounding the original house and the Giscome Portage trail The Huble Homestead and Giscome Portage Regional Park opened to the public in 1989 in 1863 John Robert Giscome a black prospector from Jamaica asked a native guide to show him the best route to the Peace River area The guide brought Giscome and his partner Henry McDame to Lhdesti When Giscome returned to Victoria later that year he penned a letter to The Daily British Colonist recounting his travels and describing the trail he had been shown The newspaper dubbed the route Giscome s Portage Despite the article the trail saw little use until the Omineca gold rush started in 1869 Over the next 40 years the trail was used by prospectors fur traders and surveyors to travel to the northern part of the province ALbert and annie huble ALBERT JAMES Huble was born in Oak Lake Ontario The oldest son in a family of eleven children Albert is said to have left home as a young teenager after an argument with his father After years of working in different areas around the country Al took a job with Canadian Pacific Railway in the Kootenays From there it is believed he came to the Fort George area around 1902 Anne may Hart was born in Havelock Ontario She married William Copperthwaite and the couple had three children When Al Huble returned to Ontario to visit his family in 1910 the marriage between Annie and William had ended and Huble s diary makes mention of several meetings between the Hart and Huble families When Annie moved to British Columbia the following summer her two oldest children remained in Ontario with their grandparents and Ada accompanied her mother to their new home The couple welcomed a daughter in 1911 and the family grew by three more daughters and a son After moving into Prince George in 1919 they had another two sons Albert Huble passed away in 1947 at the age of 75 followed by his wife in 1949 at the age of 67 A Brief History of the Huble Homestead and Giscome Portage edward seebach Edward Andrew Seebach was born in Fullerton Ontario and was the oldest of eleven children oPEN DAILY There is no record of what brought Ed to British Columbia but in 1903 two years after he left Ontario he met VICTORIA DAY TO LABOUR DAY Al Huble and the two men decided to enter into a 10 00 am TO 5 00 PM business partnership SEEBACH WAS known to have been an incredibly hard worker and tough as nails By the time the Huble family moved into Prince George in 1919 Ed was living at the store the two ran in McLeod Lake In 1931 he fell from a ladder while extinguishing a fire injuring his leg so badly it needed to be amputated A year later Ed was admitted to a Prince George hospital in a state of dementia he died three days later at the age of 46 admission by donation suggested rates Adults 5 00 children seniors 3 00 families 10 00 Illustrations by Kathleen Angelski yEARS later in 1904 Albert Huble and Edward Seebach established traplines in the vicinity of the Giscome Portage The two men foresaw the location s importance as a transportation route and they pre empted land at the southern end of the trail in 1905 They also set up a store to cater to travelers In 1909 the homestead then part of the community of Giscome Portage became a regular stop for the paddlewheelers that made their way up and down the Fraser River By 1911 there were 27 settlers in the area

Page 2

THE GISCOME PORTAGE community thrived until the onset of World War I By 1915 the railway had been built on the far side of the river the young men who settled the area began to leave to join the war and transportation was rapidly shifting from river to road and rail travel In 1919 a wagon road was completed from Prince George to Summit Lake bypassing Giscome Portage The Seebach and Huble General Store soon closed The Huble family moved into Prince George and Edward Seebach moved to run the partners freighting business and warehouses at Summit and McLeod Lakes Visitor s Guide Hundreds of years ago the Indigenous people of this province established a vast network of trails connecting their territories for the purpose of travel and trade between different nations In this region one trail was particularly useful as it crossed over the Continental Divide and was the shortest route between the waterways flowing to the Pacific Ocean and those flowing into the Arctic Ocean The Lhedli T enneh referred to this route as Lhdesti the shortcut THE PROPERTY was sold to Josephine Mitchell in 1929 She operated the WM Ranch which also functioned as a guest ranch offering Wild West experiences to international visitors After she sold the ranch in 1957 it passed through several owners before the province purchased the property in the mid 1970s for use as community pasture A group was formed in 1984 to save the deteriorating Huble house and in 1986 the Regional District of Fraser Fort George obtained 54 acres of land surrounding the original house and the Giscome Portage trail The Huble Homestead and Giscome Portage Regional Park opened to the public in 1989 in 1863 John Robert Giscome a black prospector from Jamaica asked a native guide to show him the best route to the Peace River area The guide brought Giscome and his partner Henry McDame to Lhdesti When Giscome returned to Victoria later that year he penned a letter to The Daily British Colonist recounting his travels and describing the trail he had been shown The newspaper dubbed the route Giscome s Portage Despite the article the trail saw little use until the Omineca gold rush started in 1869 Over the next 40 years the trail was used by prospectors fur traders and surveyors to travel to the northern part of the province ALbert and annie huble ALBERT JAMES Huble was born in Oak Lake Ontario The oldest son in a family of eleven children Albert is said to have left home as a young teenager after an argument with his father After years of working in different areas around the country Al took a job with Canadian Pacific Railway in the Kootenays From there it is believed he came to the Fort George area around 1902 Anne may Hart was born in Havelock Ontario She married William Copperthwaite and the couple had three children When Al Huble returned to Ontario to visit his family in 1910 the marriage between Annie and William had ended and Huble s diary makes mention of several meetings between the Hart and Huble families When Annie moved to British Columbia the following summer her two oldest children remained in Ontario with their grandparents and Ada accompanied her mother to their new home The couple welcomed a daughter in 1911 and the family grew by three more daughters and a son After moving into Prince George in 1919 they had another two sons Albert Huble passed away in 1947 at the age of 75 followed by his wife in 1949 at the age of 67 A Brief History of the Huble Homestead and Giscome Portage edward seebach Edward Andrew Seebach was born in Fullerton Ontario and was the oldest of eleven children oPEN DAILY There is no record of what brought Ed to British Columbia but in 1903 two years after he left Ontario he met VICTORIA DAY TO LABOUR DAY Al Huble and the two men decided to enter into a 10 00 am TO 5 00 PM business partnership SEEBACH WAS known to have been an incredibly hard worker and tough as nails By the time the Huble family moved into Prince George in 1919 Ed was living at the store the two ran in McLeod Lake In 1931 he fell from a ladder while extinguishing a fire injuring his leg so badly it needed to be amputated A year later Ed was admitted to a Prince George hospital in a state of dementia he died three days later at the age of 46 admission by donation suggested rates Adults 5 00 children seniors 3 00 families 10 00 Illustrations by Kathleen Angelski yEARS later in 1904 Albert Huble and Edward Seebach established traplines in the vicinity of the Giscome Portage The two men foresaw the location s importance as a transportation route and they pre empted land at the southern end of the trail in 1905 They also set up a store to cater to travelers In 1909 the homestead then part of the community of Giscome Portage became a regular stop for the paddlewheelers that made their way up and down the Fraser River By 1911 there were 27 settlers in the area

Page 3

THE GISCOME PORTAGE community thrived until the onset of World War I By 1915 the railway had been built on the far side of the river the young men who settled the area began to leave to join the war and transportation was rapidly shifting from river to road and rail travel In 1919 a wagon road was completed from Prince George to Summit Lake bypassing Giscome Portage The Seebach and Huble General Store soon closed The Huble family moved into Prince George and Edward Seebach moved to run the partners freighting business and warehouses at Summit and McLeod Lakes Visitor s Guide Hundreds of years ago the Indigenous people of this province established a vast network of trails connecting their territories for the purpose of travel and trade between different nations In this region one trail was particularly useful as it crossed over the Continental Divide and was the shortest route between the waterways flowing to the Pacific Ocean and those flowing into the Arctic Ocean The Lhedli T enneh referred to this route as Lhdesti the shortcut THE PROPERTY was sold to Josephine Mitchell in 1929 She operated the WM Ranch which also functioned as a guest ranch offering Wild West experiences to international visitors After she sold the ranch in 1957 it passed through several owners before the province purchased the property in the mid 1970s for use as community pasture A group was formed in 1984 to save the deteriorating Huble house and in 1986 the Regional District of Fraser Fort George obtained 54 acres of land surrounding the original house and the Giscome Portage trail The Huble Homestead and Giscome Portage Regional Park opened to the public in 1989 in 1863 John Robert Giscome a black prospector from Jamaica asked a native guide to show him the best route to the Peace River area The guide brought Giscome and his partner Henry McDame to Lhdesti When Giscome returned to Victoria later that year he penned a letter to The Daily British Colonist recounting his travels and describing the trail he had been shown The newspaper dubbed the route Giscome s Portage Despite the article the trail saw little use until the Omineca gold rush started in 1869 Over the next 40 years the trail was used by prospectors fur traders and surveyors to travel to the northern part of the province ALbert and annie huble ALBERT JAMES Huble was born in Oak Lake Ontario The oldest son in a family of eleven children Albert is said to have left home as a young teenager after an argument with his father After years of working in different areas around the country Al took a job with Canadian Pacific Railway in the Kootenays From there it is believed he came to the Fort George area around 1902 Anne may Hart was born in Havelock Ontario She married William Copperthwaite and the couple had three children When Al Huble returned to Ontario to visit his family in 1910 the marriage between Annie and William had ended and Huble s diary makes mention of several meetings between the Hart and Huble families When Annie moved to British Columbia the following summer her two oldest children remained in Ontario with their grandparents and Ada accompanied her mother to their new home The couple welcomed a daughter in 1911 and the family grew by three more daughters and a son After moving into Prince George in 1919 they had another two sons Albert Huble passed away in 1947 at the age of 75 followed by his wife in 1949 at the age of 67 A Brief History of the Huble Homestead and Giscome Portage edward seebach Edward Andrew Seebach was born in Fullerton Ontario and was the oldest of eleven children oPEN DAILY There is no record of what brought Ed to British Columbia but in 1903 two years after he left Ontario he met VICTORIA DAY TO LABOUR DAY Al Huble and the two men decided to enter into a 10 00 am TO 5 00 PM business partnership SEEBACH WAS known to have been an incredibly hard worker and tough as nails By the time the Huble family moved into Prince George in 1919 Ed was living at the store the two ran in McLeod Lake In 1931 he fell from a ladder while extinguishing a fire injuring his leg so badly it needed to be amputated A year later Ed was admitted to a Prince George hospital in a state of dementia he died three days later at the age of 46 admission by donation suggested rates Adults 5 00 children seniors 3 00 families 10 00 Illustrations by Kathleen Angelski yEARS later in 1904 Albert Huble and Edward Seebach established traplines in the vicinity of the Giscome Portage The two men foresaw the location s importance as a transportation route and they pre empted land at the southern end of the trail in 1905 They also set up a store to cater to travelers In 1909 the homestead then part of the community of Giscome Portage became a regular stop for the paddlewheelers that made their way up and down the Fraser River By 1911 there were 27 settlers in the area

Page 4

HUBLE HOMESTEAD HISTORIC SITE 1 SalmonValley Post Office Believed to have been built in 1918 this red log structure was originally located in Salmon Valley and was home to Stearns and Gertrude McNeill Stearns ran the post office out of his home from 1923 to 1943 while Gertrude ran the government library and taught school out of the same building After the McNeills left in the early 1950s the building passed through several hands The Huble Homestead Giscome Portage Heritage Society HHGPHS was approached in the 1980s to save it from demolition The building was disassembled and then reconstructed in the upper parking lot at Huble Homestead 2 Wheelchair Accessible Outhouse see map 3 Jim Scott Memorial Jim Scott was a Regional District director who was an advocate for the park 4 Wheelchair Accessible Outhouse see map 5 Animal Shelter This log building is thought to have been constructed by Al Huble for his pigs the shelter is located far enough from the house to avoid the smell associated with pigs The building was restored in the fall of 2000 6 Welcome Barn In his diary Al Huble records working on building a barn in the summer of 1911 After its completion it would have been used to house Huble and Seebach s horses and possibly some cattle up until the construction of the new barn After 1915 this barn was likely used as a storage building for the many implements used in the two men s freighting business It was reconstructed in 1987 based on the remaining foundation and historic photographs Today this barn is the starting point for guided tours of the Huble Homestead and is home to a number of informational boards 7 Large Barn According to his diaries Al Huble cut the logs for his new barn in January of 1915 he skidded the logs used to build this barn from a nearby stand of trees with the help of a fellow homesteader Huble worked on the barn for months and notes his work on the floor in 1916 Presumably this barn housed the draught horses which pulled Huble and Seebach s freight wagons across the Giscome Portage to their warehouse at Summit Lake The Huble children recall several stalls containing horses and dairy cows as well as a 15 Meat Cache ladder leading to a hay loft The barn collapsed due to heavy Homesteaders often used raised caches to store meat and snow load in the 1970s and was reconstructed in 1987 Today other foodstuffs out of the reach of predators and rodents it is used to house tools and other implements 16 Garden The site is currently home to two gardens a small heirloom 8 Outhouses see map flower garden and a larger vegetable garden The vegetable 9 Rabbits Chickens garden is a fraction of the size of Annie Huble s original The animals kept at Huble Homestead during the season are garden which would have extended onto the riverbanks She on loan to the HHGPHS for the summer months The Huble was fond of flowers and maintained a flower garden where family would have kept chickens for their meat and eggs the vegetable garden exists today 10 Staff Cabin 17 Water Pump Built after the Hubles sold the property this simple log cabin Placed on the site of the original cribbed well the water pump is thought to have been constructed and used by ranch hands draws from an underground spring working for the WM Ranch in the 1930s The cabin was 18 Root Cellar restored in 1992 and is used today for storage This underground building was used to store fruits and 11 Flat Roofed Cabin vegetables in the absence of refrigeration The Flat Roofed Cabin was reconstructed on the original 19 Huble House location of the building it When Annie and her daughter replicates The first cabin was Ada joined Al on the homestead built by Al Huble and Ed in 1911 they all lived in Al s Seebach when they first came small one room cabin It was in to Giscome Portage around 1904 This cabin served as the this cabin that the couple would partners home until they each built a cabin on their own land welcome their first child a after which time they used it as a store In 1913 the partners daughter named Bertha in built a large false front general store and the flat roofed cabin October 1911 The couple decided a larger home was needed became a workshop and guesthouse Al repaired shoes for their growing family Al logged the timber for the home in brewed wine and did carpentry in the building Various the winter of 1911 and began construction of this squared log home in the spring The large two storey home was built in visitors to the homestead were offered a bed in the cabin the style of an Ontario farm house similar to the ones in which 12 Picnic Shelter see map both Annie and Al would have grown up Al used horses to Built in 2014 the picnic shelter was constructed at the site to haul the cabin he and Annie had been living in for the past year offer visitors relief from the sun and rain up to the new house for use as a kitchen Once completed the house boasted a cellar a large parlor and dining room an 13 Implement Shed see map office a first floor master bedroom four bedrooms upstairs 14 Seebach Huble General Store and a summer kitchen Huble and Seebach began building a new store in 1913 to accommodate the increase in business the two men were experiencing The false front building was a beckoning symbol of civilization to river traffic Customers could trade their furs arrange to have supplies freighted to Summit Lake hire a river guide or buy fresh vegetables The twenty seven settlers living in the area could purchase everything from candy and tobacco to clothes tack hardware and staples such as flour rice and beans The General Store was also a place to converse with your neighbours and fellow travellers and keep up to date on the news of the world A reproduction of the building was completed in 1997 officially reopening the business to the public once again 20 Warehouse continued people and businesses ranging from the Hudson Bay s Company to individual trappers prospectors and homesteaders Huble and Seebach built a road down to the warehouse and hauled outfits on wagons or carts to their other warehouse on Summit Lake 21 Duck Pond The Huble family raised geese and ducks the ducks in this pen are on loan to the homestead for the summer months 22 Lhukw ba nits unih Fish Camp This fish camp is a reconstruction of a similar camp that was located approximately 2km up the Lhtakoh Fraser River from Huble Homestead The camp was a seasonal settlement that would have been occupied from mid shen summer through early dak et fall while the talukw salmon were running At the fish camp a group of people mostly extended family came to fish for salmon gather roots and berries and preserve their food for the colder months Throughout the remainder of the year Lheidli T enneh would travel throughout their territory gathering resources as they became available In the khui winter they gathered in villages The fish camp project was undertaken in partnership with the Lheidli T enneh First Nation and includes several structures such as a smoke house meat cache canvas tent a lean to common area and a drying rack as well as a hand carved cottonwood dugout ts i canoe 23 Seebach s Cabin This cabin originally built in the 1930s was believed to have been used for living quarters on the WM Ranch Restored in 1992 and used as a trapper s cabin exhibit In 2012 it was relocated from its original location beside the Staff Cabin to its current location on Seebach s pre emption and reopened as Seebach s Cabin 24 Blacksmith Shop 20 Warehouse Huble began work on his riverfront warehouse in 1910 before travelling to Ontario to visit family Upon his return in 1911 he hauled a large number of logs for a wharf and completed the project in about June of that year The warehouse would become a regular stop for steamboats travelling on the upper Fraser who would use the wharf to load and unload freight for A blacksmith shop would have been a necessity for the two men to keep their teams of draught horses shod and their wagons and carts in good repair This building was recreated at the homestead in 1995 based on the information gathered from original photographs Furnished almost entirely with the tools of Prince George pioneer blacksmith John Banzer this building has a fully functioning forge

Page 5

HUBLE HOMESTEAD HISTORIC SITE 1 SalmonValley Post Office Believed to have been built in 1918 this red log structure was originally located in Salmon Valley and was home to Stearns and Gertrude McNeill Stearns ran the post office out of his home from 1923 to 1943 while Gertrude ran the government library and taught school out of the same building After the McNeills left in the early 1950s the building passed through several hands The Huble Homestead Giscome Portage Heritage Society HHGPHS was approached in the 1980s to save it from demolition The building was disassembled and then reconstructed in the upper parking lot at Huble Homestead 2 Wheelchair Accessible Outhouse see map 3 Jim Scott Memorial Jim Scott was a Regional District director who was an advocate for the park 4 Wheelchair Accessible Outhouse see map 5 Animal Shelter This log building is thought to have been constructed by Al Huble for his pigs the shelter is located far enough from the house to avoid the smell associated with pigs The building was restored in the fall of 2000 6 Welcome Barn In his diary Al Huble records working on building a barn in the summer of 1911 After its completion it would have been used to house Huble and Seebach s horses and possibly some cattle up until the construction of the new barn After 1915 this barn was likely used as a storage building for the many implements used in the two men s freighting business It was reconstructed in 1987 based on the remaining foundation and historic photographs Today this barn is the starting point for guided tours of the Huble Homestead and is home to a number of informational boards 7 Large Barn According to his diaries Al Huble cut the logs for his new barn in January of 1915 he skidded the logs used to build this barn from a nearby stand of trees with the help of a fellow homesteader Huble worked on the barn for months and notes his work on the floor in 1916 Presumably this barn housed the draught horses which pulled Huble and Seebach s freight wagons across the Giscome Portage to their warehouse at Summit Lake The Huble children recall several stalls containing horses and dairy cows as well as a 15 Meat Cache ladder leading to a hay loft The barn collapsed due to heavy Homesteaders often used raised caches to store meat and snow load in the 1970s and was reconstructed in 1987 Today other foodstuffs out of the reach of predators and rodents it is used to house tools and other implements 16 Garden The site is currently home to two gardens a small heirloom 8 Outhouses see map flower garden and a larger vegetable garden The vegetable 9 Rabbits Chickens garden is a fraction of the size of Annie Huble s original The animals kept at Huble Homestead during the season are garden which would have extended onto the riverbanks She on loan to the HHGPHS for the summer months The Huble was fond of flowers and maintained a flower garden where family would have kept chickens for their meat and eggs the vegetable garden exists today 10 Staff Cabin 17 Water Pump Built after the Hubles sold the property this simple log cabin Placed on the site of the original cribbed well the water pump is thought to have been constructed and used by ranch hands draws from an underground spring working for the WM Ranch in the 1930s The cabin was 18 Root Cellar restored in 1992 and is used today for storage This underground building was used to store fruits and 11 Flat Roofed Cabin vegetables in the absence of refrigeration The Flat Roofed Cabin was reconstructed on the original 19 Huble House location of the building it When Annie and her daughter replicates The first cabin was Ada joined Al on the homestead built by Al Huble and Ed in 1911 they all lived in Al s Seebach when they first came small one room cabin It was in to Giscome Portage around 1904 This cabin served as the this cabin that the couple would partners home until they each built a cabin on their own land welcome their first child a after which time they used it as a store In 1913 the partners daughter named Bertha in built a large false front general store and the flat roofed cabin October 1911 The couple decided a larger home was needed became a workshop and guesthouse Al repaired shoes for their growing family Al logged the timber for the home in brewed wine and did carpentry in the building Various the winter of 1911 and began construction of this squared log home in the spring The large two storey home was built in visitors to the homestead were offered a bed in the cabin the style of an Ontario farm house similar to the ones in which 12 Picnic Shelter see map both Annie and Al would have grown up Al used horses to Built in 2014 the picnic shelter was constructed at the site to haul the cabin he and Annie had been living in for the past year offer visitors relief from the sun and rain up to the new house for use as a kitchen Once completed the house boasted a cellar a large parlor and dining room an 13 Implement Shed see map office a first floor master bedroom four bedrooms upstairs 14 Seebach Huble General Store and a summer kitchen Huble and Seebach began building a new store in 1913 to accommodate the increase in business the two men were experiencing The false front building was a beckoning symbol of civilization to river traffic Customers could trade their furs arrange to have supplies freighted to Summit Lake hire a river guide or buy fresh vegetables The twenty seven settlers living in the area could purchase everything from candy and tobacco to clothes tack hardware and staples such as flour rice and beans The General Store was also a place to converse with your neighbours and fellow travellers and keep up to date on the news of the world A reproduction of the building was completed in 1997 officially reopening the business to the public once again 20 Warehouse continued people and businesses ranging from the Hudson Bay s Company to individual trappers prospectors and homesteaders Huble and Seebach built a road down to the warehouse and hauled outfits on wagons or carts to their other warehouse on Summit Lake 21 Duck Pond The Huble family raised geese and ducks the ducks in this pen are on loan to the homestead for the summer months 22 Lhukw ba nits unih Fish Camp This fish camp is a reconstruction of a similar camp that was located approximately 2km up the Lhtakoh Fraser River from Huble Homestead The camp was a seasonal settlement that would have been occupied from mid shen summer through early dak et fall while the talukw salmon were running At the fish camp a group of people mostly extended family came to fish for salmon gather roots and berries and preserve their food for the colder months Throughout the remainder of the year Lheidli T enneh would travel throughout their territory gathering resources as they became available In the khui winter they gathered in villages The fish camp project was undertaken in partnership with the Lheidli T enneh First Nation and includes several structures such as a smoke house meat cache canvas tent a lean to common area and a drying rack as well as a hand carved cottonwood dugout ts i canoe 23 Seebach s Cabin This cabin originally built in the 1930s was believed to have been used for living quarters on the WM Ranch Restored in 1992 and used as a trapper s cabin exhibit In 2012 it was relocated from its original location beside the Staff Cabin to its current location on Seebach s pre emption and reopened as Seebach s Cabin 24 Blacksmith Shop 20 Warehouse Huble began work on his riverfront warehouse in 1910 before travelling to Ontario to visit family Upon his return in 1911 he hauled a large number of logs for a wharf and completed the project in about June of that year The warehouse would become a regular stop for steamboats travelling on the upper Fraser who would use the wharf to load and unload freight for A blacksmith shop would have been a necessity for the two men to keep their teams of draught horses shod and their wagons and carts in good repair This building was recreated at the homestead in 1995 based on the information gathered from original photographs Furnished almost entirely with the tools of Prince George pioneer blacksmith John Banzer this building has a fully functioning forge

Page 6

HUBLE HOMESTEAD HISTORIC SITE 1 SalmonValley Post Office Believed to have been built in 1918 this red log structure was originally located in Salmon Valley and was home to Stearns and Gertrude McNeill Stearns ran the post office out of his home from 1923 to 1943 while Gertrude ran the government library and taught school out of the same building After the McNeills left in the early 1950s the building passed through several hands The Huble Homestead Giscome Portage Heritage Society HHGPHS was approached in the 1980s to save it from demolition The building was disassembled and then reconstructed in the upper parking lot at Huble Homestead 2 Wheelchair Accessible Outhouse see map 3 Jim Scott Memorial Jim Scott was a Regional District director who was an advocate for the park 4 Wheelchair Accessible Outhouse see map 5 Animal Shelter This log building is thought to have been constructed by Al Huble for his pigs the shelter is located far enough from the house to avoid the smell associated with pigs The building was restored in the fall of 2000 6 Welcome Barn In his diary Al Huble records working on building a barn in the summer of 1911 After its completion it would have been used to house Huble and Seebach s horses and possibly some cattle up until the construction of the new barn After 1915 this barn was likely used as a storage building for the many implements used in the two men s freighting business It was reconstructed in 1987 based on the remaining foundation and historic photographs Today this barn is the starting point for guided tours of the Huble Homestead and is home to a number of informational boards 7 Large Barn According to his diaries Al Huble cut the logs for his new barn in January of 1915 he skidded the logs used to build this barn from a nearby stand of trees with the help of a fellow homesteader Huble worked on the barn for months and notes his work on the floor in 1916 Presumably this barn housed the draught horses which pulled Huble and Seebach s freight wagons across the Giscome Portage to their warehouse at Summit Lake The Huble children recall several stalls containing horses and dairy cows as well as a 15 Meat Cache ladder leading to a hay loft The barn collapsed due to heavy Homesteaders often used raised caches to store meat and snow load in the 1970s and was reconstructed in 1987 Today other foodstuffs out of the reach of predators and rodents it is used to house tools and other implements 16 Garden The site is currently home to two gardens a small heirloom 8 Outhouses see map flower garden and a larger vegetable garden The vegetable 9 Rabbits Chickens garden is a fraction of the size of Annie Huble s original The animals kept at Huble Homestead during the season are garden which would have extended onto the riverbanks She on loan to the HHGPHS for the summer months The Huble was fond of flowers and maintained a flower garden where family would have kept chickens for their meat and eggs the vegetable garden exists today 10 Staff Cabin 17 Water Pump Built after the Hubles sold the property this simple log cabin Placed on the site of the original cribbed well the water pump is thought to have been constructed and used by ranch hands draws from an underground spring working for the WM Ranch in the 1930s The cabin was 18 Root Cellar restored in 1992 and is used today for storage This underground building was used to store fruits and 11 Flat Roofed Cabin vegetables in the absence of refrigeration The Flat Roofed Cabin was reconstructed on the original 19 Huble House location of the building it When Annie and her daughter replicates The first cabin was Ada joined Al on the homestead built by Al Huble and Ed in 1911 they all lived in Al s Seebach when they first came small one room cabin It was in to Giscome Portage around 1904 This cabin served as the this cabin that the couple would partners home until they each built a cabin on their own land welcome their first child a after which time they used it as a store In 1913 the partners daughter named Bertha in built a large false front general store and the flat roofed cabin October 1911 The couple decided a larger home was needed became a workshop and guesthouse Al repaired shoes for their growing family Al logged the timber for the home in brewed wine and did carpentry in the building Various the winter of 1911 and began construction of this squared log home in the spring The large two storey home was built in visitors to the homestead were offered a bed in the cabin the style of an Ontario farm house similar to the ones in which 12 Picnic Shelter see map both Annie and Al would have grown up Al used horses to Built in 2014 the picnic shelter was constructed at the site to haul the cabin he and Annie had been living in for the past year offer visitors relief from the sun and rain up to the new house for use as a kitchen Once completed the house boasted a cellar a large parlor and dining room an 13 Implement Shed see map office a first floor master bedroom four bedrooms upstairs 14 Seebach Huble General Store and a summer kitchen Huble and Seebach began building a new store in 1913 to accommodate the increase in business the two men were experiencing The false front building was a beckoning symbol of civilization to river traffic Customers could trade their furs arrange to have supplies freighted to Summit Lake hire a river guide or buy fresh vegetables The twenty seven settlers living in the area could purchase everything from candy and tobacco to clothes tack hardware and staples such as flour rice and beans The General Store was also a place to converse with your neighbours and fellow travellers and keep up to date on the news of the world A reproduction of the building was completed in 1997 officially reopening the business to the public once again 20 Warehouse continued people and businesses ranging from the Hudson Bay s Company to individual trappers prospectors and homesteaders Huble and Seebach built a road down to the warehouse and hauled outfits on wagons or carts to their other warehouse on Summit Lake 21 Duck Pond The Huble family raised geese and ducks the ducks in this pen are on loan to the homestead for the summer months 22 Lhukw ba nits unih Fish Camp This fish camp is a reconstruction of a similar camp that was located approximately 2km up the Lhtakoh Fraser River from Huble Homestead The camp was a seasonal settlement that would have been occupied from mid shen summer through early dak et fall while the talukw salmon were running At the fish camp a group of people mostly extended family came to fish for salmon gather roots and berries and preserve their food for the colder months Throughout the remainder of the year Lheidli T enneh would travel throughout their territory gathering resources as they became available In the khui winter they gathered in villages The fish camp project was undertaken in partnership with the Lheidli T enneh First Nation and includes several structures such as a smoke house meat cache canvas tent a lean to common area and a drying rack as well as a hand carved cottonwood dugout ts i canoe 23 Seebach s Cabin This cabin originally built in the 1930s was believed to have been used for living quarters on the WM Ranch Restored in 1992 and used as a trapper s cabin exhibit In 2012 it was relocated from its original location beside the Staff Cabin to its current location on Seebach s pre emption and reopened as Seebach s Cabin 24 Blacksmith Shop 20 Warehouse Huble began work on his riverfront warehouse in 1910 before travelling to Ontario to visit family Upon his return in 1911 he hauled a large number of logs for a wharf and completed the project in about June of that year The warehouse would become a regular stop for steamboats travelling on the upper Fraser who would use the wharf to load and unload freight for A blacksmith shop would have been a necessity for the two men to keep their teams of draught horses shod and their wagons and carts in good repair This building was recreated at the homestead in 1995 based on the information gathered from original photographs Furnished almost entirely with the tools of Prince George pioneer blacksmith John Banzer this building has a fully functioning forge

Page 7

HUBLE HOMESTEAD HISTORIC SITE 1 SalmonValley Post Office Believed to have been built in 1918 this red log structure was originally located in Salmon Valley and was home to Stearns and Gertrude McNeill Stearns ran the post office out of his home from 1923 to 1943 while Gertrude ran the government library and taught school out of the same building After the McNeills left in the early 1950s the building passed through several hands The Huble Homestead Giscome Portage Heritage Society HHGPHS was approached in the 1980s to save it from demolition The building was disassembled and then reconstructed in the upper parking lot at Huble Homestead 2 Wheelchair Accessible Outhouse see map 3 Jim Scott Memorial Jim Scott was a Regional District director who was an advocate for the park 4 Wheelchair Accessible Outhouse see map 5 Animal Shelter This log building is thought to have been constructed by Al Huble for his pigs the shelter is located far enough from the house to avoid the smell associated with pigs The building was restored in the fall of 2000 6 Welcome Barn In his diary Al Huble records working on building a barn in the summer of 1911 After its completion it would have been used to house Huble and Seebach s horses and possibly some cattle up until the construction of the new barn After 1915 this barn was likely used as a storage building for the many implements used in the two men s freighting business It was reconstructed in 1987 based on the remaining foundation and historic photographs Today this barn is the starting point for guided tours of the Huble Homestead and is home to a number of informational boards 7 Large Barn According to his diaries Al Huble cut the logs for his new barn in January of 1915 he skidded the logs used to build this barn from a nearby stand of trees with the help of a fellow homesteader Huble worked on the barn for months and notes his work on the floor in 1916 Presumably this barn housed the draught horses which pulled Huble and Seebach s freight wagons across the Giscome Portage to their warehouse at Summit Lake The Huble children recall several stalls containing horses and dairy cows as well as a 15 Meat Cache ladder leading to a hay loft The barn collapsed due to heavy Homesteaders often used raised caches to store meat and snow load in the 1970s and was reconstructed in 1987 Today other foodstuffs out of the reach of predators and rodents it is used to house tools and other implements 16 Garden The site is currently home to two gardens a small heirloom 8 Outhouses see map flower garden and a larger vegetable garden The vegetable 9 Rabbits Chickens garden is a fraction of the size of Annie Huble s original The animals kept at Huble Homestead during the season are garden which would have extended onto the riverbanks She on loan to the HHGPHS for the summer months The Huble was fond of flowers and maintained a flower garden where family would have kept chickens for their meat and eggs the vegetable garden exists today 10 Staff Cabin 17 Water Pump Built after the Hubles sold the property this simple log cabin Placed on the site of the original cribbed well the water pump is thought to have been constructed and used by ranch hands draws from an underground spring working for the WM Ranch in the 1930s The cabin was 18 Root Cellar restored in 1992 and is used today for storage This underground building was used to store fruits and 11 Flat Roofed Cabin vegetables in the absence of refrigeration The Flat Roofed Cabin was reconstructed on the original 19 Huble House location of the building it When Annie and her daughter replicates The first cabin was Ada joined Al on the homestead built by Al Huble and Ed in 1911 they all lived in Al s Seebach when they first came small one room cabin It was in to Giscome Portage around 1904 This cabin served as the this cabin that the couple would partners home until they each built a cabin on their own land welcome their first child a after which time they used it as a store In 1913 the partners daughter named Bertha in built a large false front general store and the flat roofed cabin October 1911 The couple decided a larger home was needed became a workshop and guesthouse Al repaired shoes for their growing family Al logged the timber for the home in brewed wine and did carpentry in the building Various the winter of 1911 and began construction of this squared log home in the spring The large two storey home was built in visitors to the homestead were offered a bed in the cabin the style of an Ontario farm house similar to the ones in which 12 Picnic Shelter see map both Annie and Al would have grown up Al used horses to Built in 2014 the picnic shelter was constructed at the site to haul the cabin he and Annie had been living in for the past year offer visitors relief from the sun and rain up to the new house for use as a kitchen Once completed the house boasted a cellar a large parlor and dining room an 13 Implement Shed see map office a first floor master bedroom four bedrooms upstairs 14 Seebach Huble General Store and a summer kitchen Huble and Seebach began building a new store in 1913 to accommodate the increase in business the two men were experiencing The false front building was a beckoning symbol of civilization to river traffic Customers could trade their furs arrange to have supplies freighted to Summit Lake hire a river guide or buy fresh vegetables The twenty seven settlers living in the area could purchase everything from candy and tobacco to clothes tack hardware and staples such as flour rice and beans The General Store was also a place to converse with your neighbours and fellow travellers and keep up to date on the news of the world A reproduction of the building was completed in 1997 officially reopening the business to the public once again 20 Warehouse continued people and businesses ranging from the Hudson Bay s Company to individual trappers prospectors and homesteaders Huble and Seebach built a road down to the warehouse and hauled outfits on wagons or carts to their other warehouse on Summit Lake 21 Duck Pond The Huble family raised geese and ducks the ducks in this pen are on loan to the homestead for the summer months 22 Lhukw ba nits unih Fish Camp This fish camp is a reconstruction of a similar camp that was located approximately 2km up the Lhtakoh Fraser River from Huble Homestead The camp was a seasonal settlement that would have been occupied from mid shen summer through early dak et fall while the talukw salmon were running At the fish camp a group of people mostly extended family came to fish for salmon gather roots and berries and preserve their food for the colder months Throughout the remainder of the year Lheidli T enneh would travel throughout their territory gathering resources as they became available In the khui winter they gathered in villages The fish camp project was undertaken in partnership with the Lheidli T enneh First Nation and includes several structures such as a smoke house meat cache canvas tent a lean to common area and a drying rack as well as a hand carved cottonwood dugout ts i canoe 23 Seebach s Cabin This cabin originally built in the 1930s was believed to have been used for living quarters on the WM Ranch Restored in 1992 and used as a trapper s cabin exhibit In 2012 it was relocated from its original location beside the Staff Cabin to its current location on Seebach s pre emption and reopened as Seebach s Cabin 24 Blacksmith Shop 20 Warehouse Huble began work on his riverfront warehouse in 1910 before travelling to Ontario to visit family Upon his return in 1911 he hauled a large number of logs for a wharf and completed the project in about June of that year The warehouse would become a regular stop for steamboats travelling on the upper Fraser who would use the wharf to load and unload freight for A blacksmith shop would have been a necessity for the two men to keep their teams of draught horses shod and their wagons and carts in good repair This building was recreated at the homestead in 1995 based on the information gathered from original photographs Furnished almost entirely with the tools of Prince George pioneer blacksmith John Banzer this building has a fully functioning forge

Page 8

THE GISCOME PORTAGE community thrived until the onset of World War I By 1915 the railway had been built on the far side of the river the young men who settled the area began to leave to join the war and transportation was rapidly shifting from river to road and rail travel In 1919 a wagon road was completed from Prince George to Summit Lake bypassing Giscome Portage The Seebach and Huble General Store soon closed The Huble family moved into Prince George and Edward Seebach moved to run the partners freighting business and warehouses at Summit and McLeod Lakes Visitor s Guide Hundreds of years ago the Indigenous people of this province established a vast network of trails connecting their territories for the purpose of travel and trade between different nations In this region one trail was particularly useful as it crossed over the Continental Divide and was the shortest route between the waterways flowing to the Pacific Ocean and those flowing into the Arctic Ocean The Lhedli T enneh referred to this route as Lhdesti the shortcut THE PROPERTY was sold to Josephine Mitchell in 1929 She operated the WM Ranch which also functioned as a guest ranch offering Wild West experiences to international visitors After she sold the ranch in 1957 it passed through several owners before the province purchased the property in the mid 1970s for use as community pasture A group was formed in 1984 to save the deteriorating Huble house and in 1986 the Regional District of Fraser Fort George obtained 54 acres of land surrounding the original house and the Giscome Portage trail The Huble Homestead and Giscome Portage Regional Park opened to the public in 1989 in 1863 John Robert Giscome a black prospector from Jamaica asked a native guide to show him the best route to the Peace River area The guide brought Giscome and his partner Henry McDame to Lhdesti When Giscome returned to Victoria later that year he penned a letter to The Daily British Colonist recounting his travels and describing the trail he had been shown The newspaper dubbed the route Giscome s Portage Despite the article the trail saw little use until the Omineca gold rush started in 1869 Over the next 40 years the trail was used by prospectors fur traders and surveyors to travel to the northern part of the province ALbert and annie huble ALBERT JAMES Huble was born in Oak Lake Ontario The oldest son in a family of eleven children Albert is said to have left home as a young teenager after an argument with his father After years of working in different areas around the country Al took a job with Canadian Pacific Railway in the Kootenays From there it is believed he came to the Fort George area around 1902 Anne may Hart was born in Havelock Ontario She married William Copperthwaite and the couple had three children When Al Huble returned to Ontario to visit his family in 1910 the marriage between Annie and William had ended and Huble s diary makes mention of several meetings between the Hart and Huble families When Annie moved to British Columbia the following summer her two oldest children remained in Ontario with their grandparents and Ada accompanied her mother to their new home The couple welcomed a daughter in 1911 and the family grew by three more daughters and a son After moving into Prince George in 1919 they had another two sons Albert Huble passed away in 1947 at the age of 75 followed by his wife in 1949 at the age of 67 A Brief History of the Huble Homestead and Giscome Portage edward seebach Edward Andrew Seebach was born in Fullerton Ontario and was the oldest of eleven children oPEN DAILY There is no record of what brought Ed to British Columbia but in 1903 two years after he left Ontario he met VICTORIA DAY TO LABOUR DAY Al Huble and the two men decided to enter into a 10 00 am TO 5 00 PM business partnership SEEBACH WAS known to have been an incredibly hard worker and tough as nails By the time the Huble family moved into Prince George in 1919 Ed was living at the store the two ran in McLeod Lake In 1931 he fell from a ladder while extinguishing a fire injuring his leg so badly it needed to be amputated A year later Ed was admitted to a Prince George hospital in a state of dementia he died three days later at the age of 46 admission by donation suggested rates Adults 5 00 children seniors 3 00 families 10 00 Illustrations by Kathleen Angelski yEARS later in 1904 Albert Huble and Edward Seebach established traplines in the vicinity of the Giscome Portage The two men foresaw the location s importance as a transportation route and they pre empted land at the southern end of the trail in 1905 They also set up a store to cater to travelers In 1909 the homestead then part of the community of Giscome Portage became a regular stop for the paddlewheelers that made their way up and down the Fraser River By 1911 there were 27 settlers in the area