Grilled Peaches on Grostini
- - 1/3 Honey
- - 1 can peach slices in 100% fruit juice or water
- - 6 oz. low-fat cottage cheese, drained - 3 tablespoons of chiffonade fresh basil
- - whole grain crostini
Cottage cheese needs to be strained and pressed with paper towels continuously in a strainer until most water is removed and only curds remain. Meanwhile, drain and dry peach slices with a paper towel. Slice crostini into small pieces. Once dry, spray a heated grill top with your favorite non-stick cooking spray and grill crostini until there are evident grills marks on them. Then, grill peach slices until they also have evident grill marks and they are warm. Drizzle honey on crostini, set peaches and place spoonful of drained cottage cheese on top. Then, drizzle with more honey. Top with ribbons of chopped basil.
Grilled Peaches on Crostini Recipe:
- - Whole Wheat Pita
- - Low-Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- - Spinach, Chopped
- - Bell Peppers, Diced
- - No-Sodium Added Pizza Sauce or Tomato Sauce
- - Cut pita pocket in half and gently open to create a pocket.
- - Spread the pizza or tomato sauce inside the pita pocket.
- - Add the bell peppers, spinach, and sprinkle with cheese.
- - Place on a skillet and cook until cheese has melted and both sides are brown and toasty. (Can also cook on a baking tray in an oven on 350 degrees until golden brown and the cheese has melted).
Pizza Pita Pocket Recipe:
This simple healthy pizza has all 5 food groups
- - Wild Rice or Brown Rice Rice Cakes
- - ¼ cup pizza sauce (warmed )
- - 1 can navy beans(drained and rinsed)
- - ½ cup low-fat mozzarella cheese shredded
- - ¼ cup diced frozen (or fresh) pineapple
- - ¼ cup diced red bell peppers
- - ¼ cup diced green bell pepper
- - ¼ cup diced orange bell pepper
- - 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- - Top rice cake with pizza sauce, navy beans, cheese, fruits & vegetables (except spinach).
- - Place rice cake pizza on plate then put in microwave and heat on high for 30 seconds to 1 ½ minutes to melt cheese.
Enjoy your 5 food group pizza!
Rainbow Rice Cake Pizza Recipe:
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- Zest & juice of one lemon
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ cup boiling water
- 2 regular cucumbers or 1 hothouse English cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 can low sodium chickpeas (garbanzo beans)- drained and rinsed throughly
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup low fat feta cheese
- Sea salt & pepper
- Pour boiling water over uncooked whole wheat couscous, zest & juice of lemon, baby spinach and 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil. Stir to combine. Then place lid on and let mixture sit until couscous absorbs all water (about five minutes).
- Meanwhile, deseed cucumbers (if using regular cucumbers- there is no need to de-seed English cucumbers if using) then dice cucumbers. Finely chop the parsley & oregano. Mix cucumbers, parsley, oregano and chickpeas set aside.
- Quarter tomatoes, and then set aside.
- Once couscous has absorbed water, fluff couscous with a fork, then in a large bowl combine fluffed couscous with cucumber/chickpea mixture. Then gingerly toss in tomatoes and feta cheese. Taste then season as needed with salt & pepper. (Remember that feta lends a salty flavor to things- taste before adding salt.)
- Enjoy your delicious meatless protein packed whole grain FIVE food group dinner.
Yummy Tummy Greek Salad Recipe:
- Green Pea Guacamole Ingredients:
- - 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- - 1 16oz bag of frozen, thawed green peas
- - 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
- - 4 green onions, sliced
- - 3 cloves of garlic
- - 4 tbsp lime juice
- - Roughly chop cilantro and set 1 tbsp aside for garnish.
- - Add thawed green peas, diced avocado, sliced green onions, garlic and lime juice to food processor. Blend until smooth, or desired texture. Add remaining cilantro for texture.
- - Serve with whole grain tortilla chips or carrot sticks and celery.
Green Pea Guacamole Recipe:
- - 1 1/2 tsp of Coconut Oil
- - 1/4 cup of Popcorn
- - 1/2 cup of Cran Raisins
- - 1 package of Hot Cocoa Powder
- - Put 1/2 the pack of Hot Cocoa Powder in a large bowl where you will be placing your popcorn
- - Turn stove on medium/high and heat the coconut oil and 3 popcorn kernels
- - Once they pop, put rest of kernels in pot and cover with aluminum foil leaving it slightly open for the steam
- - When popping slows down, pour hot popcorn into bowl
- - Pour the remaining cocoa powder and Cran Raisins on top
Cran-Chocolate Popcorn Recipe: