How To Get Through Freshman Year
In this booklet, you will find multiple pages of advice on how you will survive highschool. Tips for highschool success, classroom success, how to take good notes, homework skills, study skills, and taking a test or an exam. These are the things everyone entering grade 9 wants to have. But don't stress too hard, it's not very difficult to get a grasp on highschool.
Hints For Highschool Success
Before you even step foot into highschool, there are three steps to success.
Step one: Set goals
Step two: Make sure you're ready to put in effort
Step three: Plan to succeed and motivate yourself.
- As silly as it may sound to you, highschool will be easier the less you stress. You need to be committed. If you're not commited to do well, you will not beomce a successful student.
- Talk positively to yourself and about yourself. Avoid calling yourself "stupid" or "dumb" because your brain will believe what you tell it. If you put garbage into your brain, it will give you garbage back again.
- Negative thoughts about a teacher or the class affect your entire outlook about the class, so keep positive and look for the good things in the class and about the teacher.
- Avoid complaining, if you complain that the work is difficult, the work will become more difficult and take more time.
- Communicate with your teachers, counsellors or other adults that you will be involved with. If there is something wrong whether it is with school, yourself or other people bothering you, tell somebody.
- Get enough sleep. This becomes harder for people with mental illness or stress at home, etc. If you are struggling, you need to get help because it makes a huge impact on how you do in school.
- Try not to let friendship or relationship problems interfere with your school work or participation.