ADA: americans with disabilities act
This was a law made in 1990, prohibts discrimination against indivuals with disabilities in areas with pubic life. Like jobs, schools, public transporations and all public and private areas that are open to the general public.
The purpose of theis act was to ensure people with disabilities have the same oppertunities as everyone else.
- When teaching remeber you are a mode for the other students on how to respond and interact with the student.
- Encourage ALL students to participate in class actvities, while making sure that the are sensitive to all needs.
- Deaf/hearing impared: Always speak directly to the student, not to the interpreture. During class makes sure only one person is talking at a time. Mkae sure to use visuals that go along with the lesson and make sure they are understable. Write a simple outine on the board of the lesson along with assignmets and thier due dates.
- Chronic pain/illness's: Give extra time with test also allow extra time to get to class. Use adaptive seating and work with the students on field trips.
- Physical Disabilities: They may need help taking notes so allow more time to make sure thwy get all the information. Be curtious to students with wheelchairs.
Physical Disibilites in the class
Physical Disabilities video