Putting an End to Drinking and Driving Together
In 2006, in responce to the over 13,000 people who were killed each year in drunk driving crashes, MADD luanced a campaign to eliminate drunk driving. Public support for compaign iniatives has been overwhelming. The organization came up with an amazing plan to start putting an end to drinking & driving with just three simple steps.
1) Support our heroes: Support high-visibility law enforcement to catch drunk drivers and discourage others from driving drunk.
2)Sober to Start: Require ignition interlock devices, or incar breathilizers, for all drunk drivers to prove they are sober before the car will start.
3) Secure the Future: Support the development of technology to determine automatically whether or not the driver is above the legal limit of .08 & failing to operate if the driver is drunk.
These three steps may seem very simple and as if they would'nt help. When this campaign was luanched, many people though of it as " a neat slogan, but not practical".
After seven years, huge changes were made.
1) Twenty five states have mandatory all-offender ignition interlock laws, up from only one state.
2) All fifity states now have some form of ignition interlock, up from only 45.
3) Advanced in-vehicle alcohol detection technology is no longer just a concept, now in its second phase of development.