Step 2: Teach Lesson
After watching the video- You just received a postcard from a relative or friend. They are coming to visit! You must determine
which method of travel will take the least amount of time.
● An airplane leaves her hometown at 2:45 p.m. and arrives in your town at 4:45 p.m.
● By train, they can leave at 3:20 p.m. and arrive at 7:50 p.m.
● By car it takes the same amount of time as by plane and train combined.
How long does the car take to get to her house?
Ask if there are any questions. Let the student know they can use whatever tools they need to accomplish the task.
Questions you can ask the student:
● Is there another way to do that?
● How do you know?
● What have you discovered?
● Where can you find that answer?
● What other choices do you have?
● What do you find difficult or challenging?
● Describe.... Explain.... Tell.... LIst......
● Can you draw a picture? or a number line?
Select models for the student to share from simple - concrete to the more abstract. Make connections to what the student should
Ask the student, Is there a way to represent the time problem using an equation or expression? Allow the student time to
Then have the student complete the interactive online workbook below.