Section 1: Are You Ready?
What are some tips?
Take a babysitting course, Care for your siblings, Care for your pets, Be a mother’s help, and Babysit in your own house.
Section 2: Get Prepared
Getting to Know You Meeting
- Expectations-If a parent is only out for an hour or so then you just need to keep the kids from breaking things and keep the out of trouble. If they're out for the whole day or night then you need to make them food, help with homework, and put them to bed.
- Style-When you talk to the parent get a little sense of her parenting style.
- Get the Digits-Get guidelines from the parents a phone number. Ask for the emergency numbers. If there's a fire, burglary, or an accident always call 911 first before the parent.
- Diet- Ask if they have any allergies. Ask if they are allowed to have snakes.
- Medicine-Ask if the child is on any medicine. If they do ask when they take it.
- Routines-Ask if the parents want you to bathe them. Ask what kind of tube they use. Ask if there's a book that the child like too read before bed. Also ask what time their bedtime is. If they have anything they like to sleep with.
- Toys, Games, and Activities-Ask what their favorite thing to do is. If the child is old enough you can ask them directly.
- Personality- Try to figure out what the kids personality is like.
- Siblings-If you babysit for more than one child find out if the kids get along together well.