I. The Gospel (Progression of the gospel)
A. The state of humanity
1. We are all born into sin...it is our nature
2. We are separated from God
3. The Bible also refers to this nature as the flesh
4. The Bible also uses the word flesh referring to our tent, our mortal bodies, our clay vessels
5. Galatians 5:19-21 list some of the acts of the sinful nature
Sexual immorality, impurity, debauchery, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and the like...
- These are the seeds that dwell in all of this. Some experience greater maturity in the seeds depending on where it was planted and how it was nurtured.
6.You are under the power of the sinful nature. This means it has dominion over you.
B. The law was given for several reasons:
1. To restrain evil
2. To provoke or reveal the wickedness of the heart
3. To diagnose the problem
The law reveals God’s standard and my inability to reach that standard MYSELF