1. The State Hermitage Museum
The Hermitage is a museum of art and culture. The second largest in the world, it was founded in 1764 by Empress Catherine the Great. Of the six buildings in the main museum complex, five - namely the Winter Palace, Small Hermitage, Old Hermitage, New Hermitage and Hermitage Theatre - are open to the public. entrance is free of charge the first Thursday of every month for all visitors, and free daily for students and children. The museum is closed on Mondays.
2. The Bronze Horseman
The Bronze Horseman is an equestrian statue of Peter the Great in the Senate Square in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The name comes from an 1833 poem of the same name by Aleksander Pushkin, which is widely considered one of the most significant works of Russian literature. The statue is now one of the symbols of Saint Petersburg. The statue's pedestal is the enormous Thunder Stone, the largest stone ever moved by humans. The stone originally weighed about 1500 tonnes, and was carved down to 1250 during transportation to its current site.
3. The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood is one of the main sights of Saint Petersburg. This church was built on the site where Emperor Alexander II was fatally wounded by political nihilists in March 1881. The church was built between 1883 and 1907, the construction was funded by the imperial family.
4. The Palace Bridge
The Palace bridge is a road- and foot-traffic bascule bridge, spans the Neva River between Palace Square and Vasilievsky Island. Like every other Neva bridge (except for Big Obukhovsky Bridge), it is drawn by night, making foot travel between various parts of the city virtually impossible. The engine which opens up 700 ton of each bridge flights consists of motors, huge gears (some of which are still the original ones) and thousand-ton counterweights.
5. Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange and Rostral Columns
Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange and Rostral Columns are significant examples of Greek Revival architecture. Designed by French architect Thomas de Thomon, and inspired by the Greek Temple of Hera at Paestum, the stock exchange was constructed between 1805 and 1810. The rostral columns erected on either side of the Stock Exchange were completed in 1811.