Makes about 12 to 18 petulla
– 1 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F.)
– 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (not instant or rapid rise)
– 2 teaspoons sugar
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 egg
– Vegetable oil for deep-frying
1. Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the water in a measuring cup. Stir until the yeast liquefies
2. In a big mixing bowl, mix flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture and egg and mix with a spoon until blended. Cover with plastic. Let it rise in a warm place for 90 minutes. The dough will be like a very loose bread dough.
3. Pour about 2 spoons of oil into a deep fryer. Heat the oil until the temperature reaches 370 degrees on a deep-frier
4. Drop the dough from a large soup spoon while using another spoon to scrape it off
5.When it’s in oil use another spoon to very carefully. When it puffs take it out.
6. Fry the petulla until golden brown and puffed, then turn over and fry other side, 3 to 6 minutes total.
7.Remove the petulla with tongs or slotted spoon, let the oil come of on a plate with paper towels on them.
8. Take of paper towels and Enjoy!