The Foundation for Rural Service (FRS), in cooperation with
NTCA–The Rural Broadband Association, seeks to sustain
and enhance the quality of life in America by advancing an
understanding of rural issues. Through its various programs
and initiatives, FRS strongly supports the continuing
education of rural youth.
Each applicant must:
• Be a graduating high school senior.
• Be a United States citizen.
• Be sponsored by a current NTCA–The Rural Broadband
• Be accepted by an accredited two- or four-year college,
university or vocational-technical school.
• Have at least a C grade point average (GPA).
• Express an interest to return to a rural community
• Type (preferred) or print all requested information.
Complete the scholarship application in full. If any
information is incomplete, the application will be rejected.
• Prepare a 300-word essay on one of the following
1. Describe your most signiﬁcant accomplishment,
and explain why you believe it to be your most
2. Describe the community in which you live, and
indicate how it has inﬂuenced the person you are.
3. What industry or opportunity would entice you to
return to a rural community after completing your
education, and why?
• The essay portion of the application is worth 35% of your
total score. Make sure to use spell-check and grammar-
check before submitting your essay.
• Have a high school teacher or guidance counselor
complete the Educator’s Statement. Please ask the
author to provide two copies of his/her statement.
• Submit one letter of recommendation from a local
community leader other than an educator (examples
include telephone company personnel, elected ofﬁcial,
local business leader, etc.). Please ask the author to
enclose two copies of his/her letter.
• Include two copies of your transcripts, including the
most recent semester. Transcript does not have to be an
• Have the manager, or designated employee of your
sponsoring company endorse your application, and
thus commit to the NTCA member match requirement.
Unsigned applications will not be accepted for
consideration. Please check with your local NTCA
member to see what its requirements are for
• Do not include any photographs with your application.
• All signatures must be provided where indicated on the
• All materials, including recommendation letters, must be
• In 2017, FRS will award scholarships per geographic
region of the NTCA membership and one sponsored
by an NTCA associate member. The awards will be
distributed proportionate to the number of applications
received per region. FRS will fund $2,000 of each
scholarship, with the sponsoring organization of each
winning student providing a $500 match.
• Four $5,000 Staurulakis Family Scholarships will be
awarded, with a preference to students who are majoring
in math, science, engineering or medicine.
• Two $1,500 TMS scholarships will be awarded to
• One $7,000 Everett Kneece Return to Rural America
Scholarship will be awarded.
Terms and Conditions
• All applications will be reviewed, and winners selected by
a qualiﬁed selection committee of educators.
• Scholarships will be awarded on a one-time basis and
will not be renewable.
• Awards will be paid upon proof of registration at an
institute of higher education and will be issued by
• Scholarships will be awarded without regard to race,
ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender or disability.
• Incomplete applications will not be considered. Refer to
the checklist on the application form to ensure that all
components of the application have been fulﬁlled.
• Winners will forfeit their scholarship if mandatory
paperwork is not received by FRS within 60 days of
notiﬁcation that they have won.
• Winners will be posted on the FRS website, www.frs.org,
by May 1, 2017.
Please contact your local telecommunications provider to determine if it is an NTCA–The Rural Broadband Association member or former FRED Donor Circle member
and if it is participating in the FRS College Scholarship Program. Sponsor company must be a current FRS donor of a minimum of $500 within the past 12 months, or a
former FRED Donor Circle member.
COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION