Step 2: Teach Lesson
This is a mini-lesson.
Remind the student that a prefix is a word part that comes at the beginning of a word.
Tell the student that you're going to name some words that begin with the prefix "re-". (Say the words and write them on the board).
Say the words:
○ or any words of your choice
Ask the student to generate "re-" words of their own by adding the prefix to action words (verb) and write these words on the board.
Silly words are acceptable.
1. Print the prefix "re-" on the board and say it aloud.
2. Tell the student that it means again or back.
3. Use the words that you wrote during brainstorming and underline the prefix "re-".
4. Identify the base words.
5. Point out that the word "rewrite" that it means write again.
6. Go back to the words that were written in the Brainstorming activity and a couple of the students words. Discuss the
meaning of each word (prefix and base).
7. *Some words will be non-examples, such as rest or ready.
8. This would be a good time to tell the student that the letters "r" and "e" in a word are not always a prefix.
9. Print the following sentence on the board, underlining the word remake:
10. My mom asked me to remake my bed.