simplebooklet thumbnail

A full description of Rebel Dogg Riders training program for instructors

Instructor Training
Do you think you could teach people how to ride motorcycles?
Are you looking for a new challenge?
Becoming a motorcycle instructor will enable you to help people enjoy the passion and
excitement that got you into the saddle in the first place.
This is a rewarding job, working outside, teaching, riding and experiencing each student’s
journey first hand for total job satisfaction.
Teaching at all levels from CBT, through training to Direct Access big bike training and
advanced rider training, the job of a motorcycle instructor is never boring or routine!
Rebel Dogg Riders training programs are unique: designed to our own high standards as a
motorcycle training organization with many years of experience with both customers and
We know what we want for our customers and for the wider motorcycle industry.
We have a proven, winning formula that enables us to deliver both customer
satisfaction and terrific test pass results, which have together driven the success of Rebel Dogg
Training programs for professional instructors
One of the aspects of becoming a Rebel Dogg Riders accredited instructor is the very high
standards that you will be required to meet at all stages of your qualification journey.
Rebel Dogg Riders instructors are expected to achieve the best grades at all levels of
qualification with the DVSA and RoSPA.
On-going training and skills reviews are a part of being a Rebel Dogg Riders instructor, with regular
standard checks from the DVSA, RoSPA and Rebel Dogg Riders auditors.
Further training and skills development courses are offered throughout a Rebel Dogg Riders
Instructor’s career.
In summary, the critical path to full Rebel Dogg Riders accreditation and qualification is:
● Rebel Dogg Riders CBT training to “down trained” standard
● Rebel Dogg Riders 125cc “Road Rider” training/DAS1 training
● Rebel Dogg Riders CBT1 training to Cardington DVSA standard
● DVSA CBT1 assessment
● Rebel Dogg Riders Direct Access Scheme training to Cardington DVSA standard
● DVSA DAS assessment
● Rebel Dogg Riders Customer Care Skills for motorcycle instructors
● Rebel Dogg Riders Professional Conduct Training
Further and advanced training options:
● DVSA ERS scheme training
● DVSA ERS advanced theory test
● DVSA ERS advanced driving test
● DVSA ERS advanced instruction test
● RoSPA Gold training if advanced rider qualifications not already held
● RoSPA test
The DVSA has upgraded the standards expected of motorcycle trainers in 2016, with new
standards checks being introduced for both CBT and DAS.
Rebel Dogg Riders Training courses follow the official new standards as outlined in the document
below – follow link to the .gov web site.
Please read this document thoroughly and retain it as a reference throughout your training.
What’s involved?
Training to be a motorcycle instructor is hard work, there is no getting away from this fact. You
will be required to learn a great deal of syllabus based information for the content of your
courses to be correct and to the required standards and you will have to develop your teaching
skills to a very high level alongside this.
Being a motorcycle instructor is a teaching job, which requires outstanding people skills,
patience and a keen eye for spotting faults.
Having the resources and training to be able to correct faults effectively, whilst supporting and
encouraging students to realize their dreams of riding is what your training with Rebel Dogg Riders
is all about.
Teaching skills for motorcycle training will be a big part of your practical Rebel Dogg Riders
You will need to have a great sense of humour, a strong, positive character, an absolute love of
people and a big personality to excel at this job. It is not for the shy, retiring or grumpy
type of person!
Course work will include classroom sessions and theory, practical on-site training with live
students, role play with lesson practice sessions and practical on road training sessions with
both live students and instructors delivering one to one instruction.
You will be expected to study hard and do homework!
The quicker you learn, the faster you can progress towards potential employment, so it is quite
simply a matter of how much you want to put into it.
We suggest that you make every effort to study the materials and learn the contents of the CBT
syllabus as much as possible in between training days to allow you to make confident progress.
Your CBT notes will contain a mass of stuff you will need to cover in your CBT lessons and you
will need to learn all of this to be able to confidently deliver a lesson.
Do I need books and stuff?
Course notes, books, manuals and learning aids will be provided for each candidate, along with
theory test study aids, to help you to achieve the highest possible level of theoretical
What do I need to bring?
You will need your own motorcycle for training purposes, or please let us know if this is a problem.
Radio equipment and riding gear can be provided if needed for training purposes.
You will need to have your full CAT A motorcycle license available for inspection.
You will need to be properly dressed in clean, presentable motorcycle clothing, gloves and
footwear, with a legal, recent motorcycle safety helmet.
We recommend that trainee instructors equip themselves with a flip type helmet ideally
a homologated dual purpose safety helmet that can be used in the open and closed face
Most professional instructors favour the SHARK EVOLINE line of helmets for work, but
this is a very personal choice.
Instructor microphones for radios will be installed in your helmet for training purposes, so
it makes sense to have “work” and “personal” safety helmets.
Do I need to have ridden for years?
You will need to have held a full Category A motorcycle license for at least 3 years and it needs
to be clean. It will obviously be a big help if you have had many years in the saddle, but it is not
Regardless of your years of riding experience, advanced riding lessons will form part of the
curriculum, where your riding will be assessed and improved wherever needed.
It goes without saying that your riding as an instructor at whatever level you are teaching at
needs to be to a very high standard as you will be leading by example.
Are there exams to pass?
Sorry, yes, lots of them.
You will need to pass a number of exams, including Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency
qualifications to allow you to teach as a fully qualified DVSA instructor and ERS advanced
instructor, RoSPA tests for your advanced rider qualifications.
To qualify as a down trained instructor, you will need to be able to deliver a full CBT to the
required DVSA and Rebel Dogg Riders professional standards, within commercial time limits.
Additionally, you will be check tested by both the DVSA and Rebel Dogg Riders on an ongoing
basis throughout your career, to ensure that you progress your learning, stay up to date with the
latest developments and not stagnate.
How long is the program?
The Rebel Dogg Riders Instructor Training program is divided into several components and
progress through each of these can take a varying amount of time, dependant on candidate
availability for training, aptitude, effort made to study and desired outcome/levels sought to
As a guideline, training full time, with a focussed attitude to home study and a natural aptitude
for teaching, a trainee instructor should be able to achieve down trained qualification within a
month, including practical work experienced based training practice.
Sometimes this can be shorter, depending on the candidate but often it takes longer, especially
if candidates are only available part time or need more time to attain the standards Riders for
Life require.
Once down trained qualification has been achieved, practical CBT work experience will be
possible to begin and the training for the DVSA CBT1 assessment will continue alongside this.
How long this takes is matter for the candidate to decide, in conjunction with assessments made
by Rebel Dogg Riders of the trainee instructor’s ability and level of competence.
Practical CBT work experience is a very important part of your preparation for the DVSA CBT1
assessment and you will be paid the Rebel Dogg Riders standard down trained rate for this work,
currently £70.00 per day.
Once CBT 1 qualified and during the course of your training to this level, trainee instructors will
be working towards the DVSA Direct Access Scheme assessment, where they will be tested
and subsequently qualified to teach riders up to the DVSA test standards.
From CBT1 qualification, there will be at least a 1 month gap to ensure that both the required
standards are reached for the DVSA test and Rebel Dogg Riders courses.
It is preferable that trainee instructors allocate enough time to gather work experience and
practical training experience before attempting the DVSA assessments and to ensure that they
are commercially attractive to both Rebel Dogg Riders and other training organizations.
A fast track approach to qualification is indeed possible, but without the practical experience
behind the qualification, instructors will be less commercially sought after and will find the whole
experience of working much more difficult and stressful.
We expect candidates to make a reasonable amount of time available for training, to allow for
continuity and development to take place. A trainee’s ability to earn money from motorcycle
training starts once down trained, so there is a strong incentive to make progress through the initial
training to start earning and getting professional experience.
What does it cost?
The cost of Rebel Dogg Riders Training Instructor training is:
£1800.00 inc. VAT to fully qualified CBT1 and Direct Access Instructor.
These fees include all soft skills training including sales training, customer relations and customer
Failure to pass the DVSA CBT1 and DAS tests will result in additional training and testing fees.
Once training to these standards has been achieved, it is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure
that they make themselves available for DVSA testing within a reasonable time to ensure the best
chance of success.
We have to set a limit of 12 months on the maximum amount of time we can dedicate to your
achievement of the DVSA standards, from your training start date.
We cannot guarantee DVSA test passes for obvious reasons.
The cost of Advanced Rider training is:
£1105.00 with 1 year RPMT membership + RoSPA membership fee
£1255.00 with 4 year RPMT membership + RoSPA membership fee
Rebel Dogg Riders Instructors seeking employment will need to budget for owning a
suitable work motorcycle and professional radio equipment as the basic package of equipment
expected of a professional instructor.
Is there a job at the end of it all?
Your location in respect to Rebel Dogg Riders sites is of course a relevant factor to consider.
we can’t guarantee work for all, successful candidates will be eligible to apply for work with
Rebel Dogg Rider’s expanding business.
What is important to remember is that as an accredited Rebel Dogg Riders instructor, you will hold
government issued qualifications, advanced rider training qualifications and actual work experience
in all of these areas.
These are high value commercial qualifications that will be in great demand at all training
establishments you might want to work with, outside of the Rebel Dogg Riders network.
As an accredited Rebel Dogg Riders self-employed freelance instructor, you will have a great
choice of potential employers. Rebel Dogg Riders are proud to be able to contribute highly trained
instructors to the freelance market and our reputation for training excellence will help you find
Rebel Dogg Riders are recognized and recommended for our high standards of training. Our
candidates in 2014/15 achieved 98% pass marks at DVSA CBT1/DAS assessment, with a number
of candidates achieving 100% pass marks.
What next?
Rebel Dogg Riders will need a copy of your CV, a recent photo of yourself and all professional
references/relevant information about yourself you have.
Contact Rebel Dogg Riders Directly to arrange an interview.
Rebel Dogg Riders
01908 904 175
Office mobile 07828 032 438