simplebooklet thumbnail

of 0

A natural landscape in Bolivia

Another natural landscape in Bolivia

Bolivia

By: Ella Gifford

This is Bolivia.

A look at high up transportation

Style of Government: Republic, Unitary State, Presidential System

Latitude and Longitude: 16.2902° S, 63.5887° W

Size in area: 424,200 mi²

President of Bolivia: Evo Morales

Overall Population: 11,051,600

Capital of Bolivia: Sucre

Flag of Bolivia:

Basic Information

This is the Altiplano in Bolivia. Altiplano is spanish for "High Plain".

Landforms

This is the Andes. The Andes run from Venezuela in the north,and the range passes through Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Chile.


This is the Cordillera Occidental. It extends generally north-south for about 750 miles in Bolivia.

Bolivia has tropical lowlands, and the highland valleys.

Bolivia's climate is humid or tropical.

Most of Bolivia is is situated at higher ground/elevation, and due to this feature, temperatures and climate can be very hot and humid in the day, or freezing cold at night. The climate can also be semiarid.

In Bolivia, the Altiplano is 12 to 24 degrees celsius.

The total rainfall in Bolivia is around 560mm.

Climate

This is the Basilica of Our Lady of Copacabana. It is a 16th century Spanish colonial shrine that stands in Bolivia.

This is the Metropolitan Cathedral of Belize. Construction of the cathedral in Bolivia started June 27, 1552.

Basilica of Our Lady of Copacabana

The Metropolitan Cathedral of Belize.

Human Features


Carabuco Church

This is the Carabuco Church in La Paz, Bolivia. It has a wooden cross that has been there for more than 3 centuries!

Lead

Gold

Bolivia has lots of natural resources. These include gold, lead, silver, antimony, tungsten, zinc, petroleum, natural gas and tin.

FUN FACTS:

-  120 kilometers in Bolivia are protected by the Bolivian government specifically for gold mining and exploration.

- Cerro Rico de Potasi is the worlds largest silver mine, located in Bolivia.

- Lead is a rich resource in Bolivia.

- In 2010, nearly 210,000 kg of silver was mined from the San Bartolo mine, whereas in 2009, 230,000 kg of silver was mined.


Natural Resources

Silver

Smelting

Fun facts:

- In Bolivia, tobacco harms the health, the treasury, and the spirit of the country, even though it is a main industry.

- Gold jewelry is a big part of the industry in Bolivia.

- Smelting is to extract (metal) from its ore by a process involving heating and melting. It is a main industry in Bolivia.

- Bolivia's Ease-of -doing business rank is 149th (out of 190), as of 2017.

- Bolivia's export is $12.85 billion (2014 est.)

Some of the main industrial products of Bolivia include tobacco, jewelry, and smelting.

Jewelry from Bolivia

Industry

Tobacco from Bolivia

Fun agriculture facts:

 - The late 1980's were very strong corn seasons. In the late 1980's, more than 475,000 tons of corn were produced in Bolivia. In 1988, 350,000 tons of corn were produced. 

- All these types of corn are industrial products in Bolivia.

- Small farmers in valleys provide 60% percent of corn to Bolivia, and medium to large farmers grew the other 40%.


White corn

Grown products in Bolivia include white corn, yellow cuban corn, and yellow corn.

Agriculture

Yellow cuban corn


Yellow corn

Here are Bolivian people celebrating.

FUN FACTS:

- Fashion in Bolivia depends on ethnic group, social class, and residence.

- In Bolivia, lunch is basically the most important meal of the day.

- Rural areas in Bolivia contain an event called the fer'a (market day).

Most Bolivian people are Catholic Christians.

Holidays in Bolivia (in order of date):

- May 1: Labor Day

- June 21: Andean New Year

- August 2: Agrarian Reform Day

- August 6: Independance Day


Culture

This is a church lots of Bolivians attend.

Bolivian foods:

- Saltenas ( Saltenas are baked empanadas and can contain beef, pork, or chicken. They originated from Bolivia, and they are the national food of Bolivia.)

- Silpancho (Silpancho is a traditional Bolivian meal that includes beef, rice, potatoes and various other ingredients.)


These are Saltenas.


References

AZO Mining

Encyclopedia Britannica

Specialty Produce

RareGoldNuggets.com

Bolivian Life

Bolivia - Crops

Country reports

The World Bank