Cinderella Stories From Around the World
The student will be introduced to the fairy tale genre and learn about comparing and contrasting stories. This lesson can
be divided into 10 separate lessons that run 15-20 minutes each.
Background Information for Teacher
Collect Cinderella stories (See the list of the suggested stories below). Understand what makes a fairy tale.
Student Prior Knowledge
● One Compare / Contrast chart for each Cinderella storybook.
● Several Cinderella story books from different cultures and time periods (below we have provided links to a variety
of stories you can use for your lesson. These books can also be found at your local library).
● Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story from China by Ai-Ling Louie
● The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe Martin
● The Way Meat Loves Salt: A Cinderella Tale from the Jewish Tradition by Nina Jaffe
● The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story by Rebecca Hickox
● Jouanah: A Hmong Cinderella by Jewell Reinhart Coburn
● The Turkey Girl: A Zuni Cinderella Story by Penny Pollock
● The Persian Cinderella by Shirley Climo
● Fair, Brown & Trembling : An Irish Cinderella Story by Jude Daly
● Angkat: The Cambodian Cinderella by Jewell Reinhart Coburn