confined to White, Putnam, Warren, Van Buren, and adjacent counties. He held successful
meetings in Nashville, Chattanooga, Murfreesboro, Lebanon, Fayetteville and many other towns.
Frequently, he was called to other States, but he preferred, as he said, to preach destitute fields
where there was greater need.
In December, 1926, a fire destroyed the 1892 church building. This unfortunate event
did not keep the Sparta Church Christians from worship services. The Christians met in the
White County Court house in 1927. They were blessed by God and their needs were met. They
were dedicated in faith, work and fellowship in the Lord’s work.
It was not many months until another building replaced the previously burned 1892
building. The new building was completed in 1927 at a cost of $40,000. It was used for worship
services, funerals, weddings and other events such as fellowship and gospel meetings. This
building was built by the Lee Company whose owner was the grandfather of Central member
Mrs. Ruth Rhea (Pinkie) Tubb Hill remembers the first wedding in the 1927 building.
She served as flower girl in the wedding of Catherine Tubb and Robert Bell.
She also states that it was a blessing and with thankful hearts that the church contribution
reached $100 on a given Sunday. The church continued to grow in contribution and membership
of 150 persons. J.R. Tubb, Sr., W.W. Young and G.J. Spurlock served as elders. Deacons were
C.C. Young, J.D. Bronson, George Tompkins and W.M. Young. J.R. Tubb stated, “By the help
of the Lord, we hope to grow in every good work.”