What Your 4th Grader Should Learn in 4th Grade
Recommended skills your 4th grader should know before advancing to the next grade.
● Uses specific examples from the text to explain characters’ motivations, main events,
central themes or ideas about a text.
● Uses the context of a text to determine the meaning of a word.
● Understands and can explain the differences between narrative prose, drama and
● Identifies and refers to the different parts of a poem and plays such as verses, settings,
● Identifies, compares and contrasts different perspectives from which texts are written.
(For example, 1st and 3rd person).
● Compares and contrasts the way different texts address the same issue, theme or topic.
● Makes connections between people, events or important ideas in a text.
● Uses previous knowledge to read unfamiliar multi-syllable words.
● Reads grade-level texts with accurate comprehension, pacing and expression.
● Use more advanced reading comprehension strategies to understand text, including
making inferences, determining the main idea and identifying key details.
● Synthesize information from two texts.
● Support analytical thinking with specific examples from the text.
● Summarize information.
● Interpret information from charts, images, videos, timelines and diagrams.
● Compare and contrast information read.
● Proficiently read at grade level four in both fiction and nonfiction texts.
● Learn new vocabulary words using context clues.
● Writes opinion pieces which express a point of view and which have an introduction, a
conclusion, reasons and facts to support the opinion and groups together related ideas.
● Writes informative/explanatory pieces which present information on a topic, use facts
and details, group together related topics, and provides and introduction and conclusion.
● Writes narrative pieces which use specific details, descriptions and dialogue to convey a
real event and includes an introduction and conclusion.
● Plans, revises and edits his/her writing.
● Uses technology to publish, research and communicate with others under the proper
guidance of a teacher.